gincoleaves

Sonntag, Oktober 22, 2006

Ancient History

The Saint Alban Tor is a former city gate in the ancient city of Basel
Switzerland.
It is one of the three remaining gateways and is one of many attractions
in the city.
Saint Alban - Vorstadt is located to the east of Basel's old town.
Sights in this area include the collection of Caricatures and cartoons, the
Basel paper mill, and the museum of contemporary Art.

A pleasant walk among trees - it almost looks like a small forest

with a pond.

To find a flat here along the pond is extremely difficult as

well as extremely expensive.

What I found along the way was a small rusty coloured squirrel - I think

he was taking a catnap, because he sat ever so still, and allowed me

a picture.

Here is a picture of the restored medieval GALLICIAN paper mill

dated between 1284 and 1453.

The old paper mill is completely covered in moss, and not only did it

look old, but the entire area was filled with a smell to match.

A picture of the mill, taken from the opposite side.
An information board about the old mill, click on - perhaps you can see

some of the historical pictures of way back when.

Mr. CC suggested we move into this flat, and I can enjoy my first

morning coffee - with a view on the pond.

If you drink anything other than coffee here, you will end up

having a bath.

11 Comments:

At 12:29 PM, Blogger the not so "new" mom on the blog said...

Those pics are absolutely stunning! Thanks for posting them!

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger the not so "new" mom on the blog said...

ok, forgive me for not being very observant but was your blog not another color or has it always been green? I am gonna link you!

 
At 6:10 PM, Blogger Jennifer AKA keewee said...

The more pictures I see, The more I want to come visit.

 
At 6:50 PM, Blogger Bibi said...

Wow...this brings back memories...I've been there. It's so beautiful!!

 
At 3:16 AM, Blogger Ginco said...

Nmotb, because I'm crazy about nature's offerings, I chose the colour green - I haven't changed it since I've started blogging, :-)

Keewee, just hop on the plane!

Bibi, yes we behaved like tourists yesterday - what we don't all do for the blog, haahaha!

 
At 3:56 AM, Blogger Sigma said...

The houses look so dainty, and so lovely sitting right next to the pond.
I would love to have a hot cup of ginger tea on that veranda :-)

 
At 5:05 AM, Blogger Katt said...

These old buildings are stunning! I agree with Keewee, I want to come visit too.

 
At 5:50 AM, Blogger Alan said...

That's some decking, wouldn't want to be out there after a rain storm!

 
At 7:20 AM, Blogger Ginco said...

Sigma, I love ginger tea!!!!
That would be an even better drink
on that small veranda, because it can get pretty cold right next to the water. :-)


Alan, you're right, it actually reminds me of Venice, you could get wet feet if you're not careful!

 
At 11:07 AM, Anonymous Anonym said...

the pictures are fantastic I love going to old places like that

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger Kev Brown said...

Fantastic pictures!!! Beautifull scenes!

 

Kommentar veröffentlichen

<< Home