gincoleaves

Sonntag, November 19, 2006

Ginco Versus Jamie Oliver

On Friday evening the British chef Jamie Oliver made his
appearance on the tv screen, I was just about to switch channels
when I heard him saying that he will be cooking up a storm for
one of
my favorite singers *Jamiroquai* - I stayed tuned to the BBC.
Jamie's not one of my favorite chefs', wow, just looking at his
antics in the kitchen makes me wanna run after him and clean
up the merry mess he leaves behind him - the kid is a slob!
I know! I know! Everybody loves the "Naked Chef" but he's no
fan of mine!
I'm not a whiz in the kitchen, quite frankly - I hate to cook!!
One spends so much time slaving over the hot stove - and when
all the cooking is completed, the food will be eaten within 15 min.
With pleasure, I will watch *Gary Rhodes* or *Ainsley Harriot*
doing "their thing" in the kitchen, these guys are awe-inspiring!
Even *Delia Smith* is another one of my favorite people - in
fact I will be baking one of her Christmas cakes very soon!
BUT
Back to the messy boy in the kitchen, among a few other
things, he prepared a couple of filled and baked onions in the
singer's house.
I have never baked filled onions before, so
I sat watching the "kid" in action.
For Sunday lunch today I've cooked a roast chicken with
Basmati rice and the last of the Butternut pumpkin bought
at the pumpkin paradise - including Jamie's filled onions.
The filling was very good, but the next time I prepare
this recipe, I will make a few changes - because the onions
were just a little on the hard side.
Here is a pic of the prepared onions - minutes before going
into the oven.

Here it's baked, and ready to eat.
Recipe for two persons
--------------------------- Jamie's filled Onions
------------------------
2 large white onions, cooked in boiling water for 15mins.
Remove, and leave to cool.
When onions are cooked, cut into the center and leave an
opening deep enough for the filling.
Use the cut out onion pieces as part of your filling.
Cut 2 mushrooms in small pieces.
Cut 3 or 4 streaks of bacon into small pieces
2 or 3 heaped teaspoons of creme fraise or double cream.
Grate a handful of strong cheese
Salt & pepper and mixed spices (Basil & Rosemary)
Blend together the onion pieces, chopped mushrooms, bacon
grated cheese, creme fraise and spices.
Spoon as much of the filling as you can into the center of the
onions, add a little extra grated cheese over the top, and
bake at 180°C for 30/35 minutes until golden brown.
I will bake the onions for a further 15/20 minutes in the
oven before adding the filling, and then back into the oven -
your onions will be soft and tender - for sure!!

10 Comments:

At 6:01 PM, Blogger Mary Lou said...

That sounds really nummy!!! And we have GREAT Walla WAlla Sweet Onions here that are to die for! Gonna have to make this!

 
At 6:58 AM, Anonymous Anonym said...

That does sound yummy. I am also not a great fan on Jamie Oliver but he sure does have some easy recipes if you are in the mood of slapping up a meal that is quick, easy, yet different!

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger Jennifer AKA keewee said...

Yes we do have great sweet onions here. I can think of all kinds of great stuffings to put in the onions.

 
At 11:25 AM, Anonymous Anonym said...

I with you, he goes off quicker than the football,
never wanted to cook anything he did, all I want is to slap him round the head.
lol

 
At 12:20 AM, Blogger Tina Dray said...

not keen on Jamie myself but them onions look a bit yummy!

though he's a big meat eater i like Hugh Fearnly Whittingstall. He does some good vegi dishes and is very passionate about food not only how it's cooked but where it comes from he's very anti mass produced

 
At 1:44 PM, Anonymous Anonym said...

Oh good I'm not the only one who is not a fan of Jamie Oliver! I have to admit that I have never stuffed an onion (or mushroom) but the concept seems kind of good. Noth sure how vegan-adaptable this recipe would be - too much cheese and creme-fraise for me to bother with finding things to substitute - but I might look up a vegan stuffed-onion recipe.

BTW - I understand the joy of finding things (food) from "back home" to buy.

 
At 8:37 AM, Blogger Sigma said...

hmmmm .. an interesting account.

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger Kev Brown said...

I hate him as well....pukka!

 
At 12:46 AM, Blogger Phyllis said...

Mmmmm, Sounds good! What is double cream??
I love onions, I'll have to try it.

 
At 5:49 AM, Blogger Norma said...

This sounds yummy. I'll drop it in my recipe file. I've never seen this show.

Not to be too personal, but are you over 50? I'm looking for good links for my new blog, Growth Industry.

Let me know.

 

Kommentar veröffentlichen

<< Home