gincoleaves

Mittwoch, November 15, 2006

Girl-child Cake and Chutney!


Almost two week-ends ago Girl-child came to visit us and she stayed
the following Monday as well, she started a course on Tuesday so she
had to be back home ( Zürich) by Monday evening.

Before she arrived here, I baked a cake and decorated it with pink icing
and toasted coconut over the top.
A picture and the recipe of this cake was posted on Fink's blog, baked by
his girlfriend (Flyingpops) during halloween - she decorated her cake with
green icing, but because halloween has gone with the pumpkins, I've made
a pink one for our visitor.

When Girl-child saw this cake she simply couldn't stop munching!!
She was eating cake like no tomorrow, every time I looked, she was cutt-
ing another slice and another....!
I had no objection to her swinging the cake knife - she could do with a few
extra kilos on her ribs, but by supper time - you've guessed it - she
wasn't hungry!!

The * Flyingpops cake * was a hit!! In fact it was such a success
I never got half the chance to take a picture to show you what
it looked like - the plate contained only pink crumbs and the remains
of toasted coconut.

On one or two occasions I have blogged about a few food items which is
unobtainable here in Switzerland, but, I have been very fortunate to
find many of the well known South African goodies in good ol' Germany.
On many trips to Germany I have searched and asked shop assistants
for the where abouts of Chutney - to no avail!!


We didn't do much food shopping on that particular Saturday, but when
Girl-child spotted a brightly- lit shop in one of the Malls, she wanted to have
a little sneak peek - so in we marched.

We looked at various articles on the many shelves, and while she stopped
to discuss something or other with her Dad, I quietly disappeared into
another direction.

I wasn't on my own for very long when I heard Girl-child's voice
saying to me "Mom, look what I've just found, did you know they sell
CHUTNEY here?"
At that moment I did not only hear the word CHUTNEY, I also
heard the sound of sweet violins.



Whoever reads this story will surely think or say "Is this woman re-
lated to wacko Jacko? " Who likes Chutney anyway!" or "What's the
big deal about Chutney!"
BUT,
I dearly love and miss the food I'm accustomed to, and I can't except
the fact of NOT finding a basket full of my favorite things!!


But my Saturday was GOLDEN, and I was quite prepared to go home
knowing I will be transporting precious cargo!!
Girl-child and Chutney!



8 Comments:

At 9:10 PM, Blogger the not so "new" mom on the blog said...

I dunno what I would do if I couldn't have Mrs. Balls Chutney!!!! Glad you found some! It is nice when someone polishes off a cake that you have baked - It makes one feel real good!!!!

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger Jennifer AKA keewee said...

I love a good chutney, I must admit I have not had ant in years. I will have to look around for some.

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger Jennifer AKA keewee said...

There I go, my fingers and brain going faster than I am this morning. I really need to slow down and proof read my comments before posting.*grin*

 
At 2:13 PM, Blogger Ginco said...

Nmotb, I can't believe I lived without it for so long. :-)


Keewee, it just ain't the same without the chutney. :-)

 
At 7:16 AM, Blogger Sigma said...

I hope you enjoyed a wonderful time with both your precious cargo !!!
:-)

 
At 10:06 PM, Blogger Katt said...

Aaah, yes, Mrs Balls Chutney has raised many a generation of good strong South Africans.

It's funny how if you ask a Saffa what they miss the most about SA most of them will say Mrs Balls Chutney.

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger bigbluemeanie said...

Ha, ha! Good post. We have a Seffrican shop down the road in Redhill, Surrey. However generally I only buy Prep there because you can get most stuff in the local supermarket anyway...

 
At 1:52 AM, Blogger Ginco said...

Bigblue: Thanks for the visit, but for the life of me I can't post a comment on your comment box!

 

Kommentar veröffentlichen

<< Home