gincoleaves

Dienstag, August 15, 2006

Another Nose Dive

It's happened again, another person commited suicide by
drowning in the Rhine river.
People climb to the top of the bridge and jump into
the fast flowing and murky water - what on earth induces
people to take such a dramatic step?
Life isn,t always a bowl of cherries and some people have
more problems that others, but is it really necessary to end your
life in such a way?
There's an answer to every question, and there's help for
everyone.



The Rhine river
with Germany in the
background.

The Rhine from the

Swiss side.

Some years ago we went for a picnic -with some friends along

the banks of the Rhine river, and during the course of the

day my friend suggested we take "a dip" in the river!

Being the plum I am, I was willing to share the fun in the water.

The "dip" turned into a swim, and the swim almost ended in

disaster.

Now let me tell you the Rhine river is no swimming pool, the

water flows strongly and you have to be a pretty good

swimmer to keep up with the flow.

I could feel myself being dragged further away from the

picnic spot, and I was swimming for my life as there was

no fighting back against the water demon which had me in a tight grip.

I was in a terrible panic and I knew if I lose control, I,ll

go down like a stone!

I shouted to my friend that we must find a way to get to

the river's edge, because I was getting very tired

and I was scared stiff!

She came to my aid and told me to flip over onto my back.

Somehow I regained some of my lost strength and could

catch my breath.

When we finally reached the side of the river - many miles away

from our picnic spot - I was ever so grateful to be alive!

It was the most frightening experience of my life, and I cannot

imagine standing on the edge of the bridge and willingly take

that fateful jump.

Since that day, I,ve NEVER taken another "dip" in

the good ol' Rhine.

7 Comments:

At 10:22 AM, Blogger Kev Brown said...

We have the same problem here in Hull with an inquest currently on the news re: a woman throwing herself off the Humber bridge with her son!!!!

 
At 5:49 PM, Blogger Jennifer AKA keewee said...

Deception Pass bridge (north on the island) has the same reputation.

 
At 10:01 PM, Blogger Neoma said...

Wow, good story.....people often don't realize just how fast water can carry you away..... we go down to the river beneath the dam, when they are letting the water out, it would be very dangerous. The kids were asking what would happen, and I told them, you would be carried downstream fast........you found out first hand, scarey, huh.


I am with you, I have never been so sad, or lonely or depressed that I ever wanted to end my life. To me life is for living, and there is always something to look forward to and something worth living for. You just have to find it. I have often wondered, if they didn't take their life on that night when they tried, if in the morning they would be glad that they didn't succeed. I have to think they would be glad they failed.

 
At 1:21 AM, Blogger Tina Dray said...

Maybe more people should start blogging then they may not feel so alone.
There's always someone out there to help you lol!

 
At 3:42 AM, Blogger Ginco said...

Kevin: It,s unthinkable how a
Mother can be so desperate (to say the least) to do such a thing,
with or without her child!

Keewee: What is it about bridges
and rivers? But I bet many a river
can tell a horror story.

Nea: I think you have to be pretty "far gone" to take such a
step, what a pity they try and sort it them selves instead of seeking help, there's always help
and hope!

Tina: You could be onto something
here, but I,ve discovered that
not many people are aware of
blogging.

 
At 3:52 AM, Blogger Bazza said...

Just an addendum to Kevin's comment. The woman and her son were rescued which was a miracle in itself. However now the woman is being charged with attempted murder. As if that's going to sort out her problems.

 
At 4:49 AM, Blogger Ginco said...

Bazza: Thank God they were
saved!
This woman is obviously in
desperate need of help and
assistance, and she,ll get it
now, perhaps all is not lost for
her.

 

Kommentar veröffentlichen

<< Home