gincoleaves

Sonntag, Dezember 03, 2006

Christmas Stollen

Many of these traditional Christmas Stollen were placed on a table
which was over 5 meters long, and sold to the public in aid of under-
privileged children - seen in a shopping mall on Saturday when
we took girl-child on another shopping trip to Germany.

My full intention was to bake a traditional Christmas cake as
soon as the December month started, as yet I have managed to
buy most of the ingredients such as glaced fruit and nuts, and now
the whole gang is sitting there, just waiting for me to get baking.
There is however only one vital ingredient still missing -
THE BRANDY!
For days on end I have searched for brandy in various super-
markets, but to no avail - I doubt if anyone here drinks
brandy, for I would have found it by now!
I have only one option left, and that is to go downtown
tomorrow and try my luck in a liquor store.

Oh, and Christmas is not the same without those delicious
home-made Christmas pies - I remember baking loads of
mince pies a few weeks before Christmas, but before it had time
to reach room temperature - the whole bangshoot was eaten
away.

For the last 12 years I have dearly missed that
spicy fruit filling - obtainable in glass containers, and not
to mention the wonderful aroma of baked mince pies that
filled the kitchen and the entire house *sigh*




6 Comments:

At 2:02 PM, Blogger Norma said...

Hmmm. It smells wonderful all the way over here.

 
At 2:39 PM, Anonymous Anonym said...

Yes I think I can smell it too.. wonderful word pictures :)

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger Jennifer AKA keewee said...

Drool, I haven't had a Christmas mince pie for many years. My mother used to bake them by the dozens. There are many of the old British baking traditions I no longer follow. Sighhhhh! and I think it is because I can no longer find the ingredients which taste the same as the ones I bought back in NZ

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger Sigma said...

Ooooohhh ! My mouth is already watering at the thought of the christmas cake and the pies. :-))

 
At 6:53 AM, Anonymous Anonym said...

I just love Christmas cake and mince pies (i have yet to bake them myself though), I buy them from Woolies! Yummmmmmyyy! Hope you can find some brandy, otherwise we must make a plan and "post" you a bottle of KVW! *Grin*! TAKE CARE!

 
At 9:19 AM, Anonymous Anonym said...

We had some apple pies but when I went to eat them they had been 'Stollen'

 

Kommentar veröffentlichen

<< Home