gincoleaves

Dienstag, Dezember 05, 2006

Samichlaustag - Santa Claus Day.



Santa Claus comes already on the 6th December.

He doesn't come from the North pole - no, he comes

from the Schwartzwald (Blackforest) in Southern Germany,

that's what the little kids believe!

Santa Clause and his helpers come to your home.

One of them is a black knight, wearing a black coat - he

is a friend of Santa, and he doesn't speak at all.

Ofcourse the girls and boys are often frightened because they

don't know whether the big bag on his shoulder is to bring them

goodies or to take them away to the hut in the blackforest (scaring

the poor kids like that!)

The other helper is an angel-like girl, dressed in white.

She carries a big book, in there is written how well or

badly the children behaved during the year.

Santa is very happy when the children recite a verse or

sing a song (and the poor shivering kiddies are happy too)

Then they get a reward; oranges, tangerines, chocolates,

nuts, gingerbread and other sweets.

I can still remember when my girl-child was a little girl, and how

we'd meet one of the many Santa's who walked the streets of town

and suburban areas on the 6th of December.

As soon as we saw the man dressed in red - he also saw us.

He stopped right next to us, and while he rested his jam packed

bag on the street, the two were having a jolly tête-a-tête!

I remember how girl-child would practice her verse - for days on

end, to please the man with the long white beard.

Then came the moment of truth!

The poor child was nervy and edgy - like a

cat on a hot tin roof!

Nevertheless, Santa was happy with her contribution, and

girl-child had her little hands and arms full with Santa's gifts - nuts

tangerines and lots of gingerbread!

The bright shining eyes in the happy little face was well worth

all the effort.

Goodness! Where have the days gone???

8 Comments:

At 8:08 AM, Blogger Kev Brown said...

I thought Gateau came from the Blackforest lol.

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger Norma said...

Thank you for the information on the lovely traditions in your part of the world.

 
At 12:54 PM, Anonymous Anonym said...

Thanks for sharing that with us! I still try my damnest to make Santa real for my kids even though their mates try and tell them otherwise - they still believe their mommy!

 
At 1:20 AM, Anonymous Anonym said...

Oh I didn't know that! Thank you-I love those kinds of stories!

 
At 3:59 AM, Blogger Tina Dray said...

what a sweet story ginco thanks for sharing it with us!

 
At 7:24 AM, Blogger Sigma said...

A very nice story, that brings such a warmth ...
So you are getting into the festive mood, I see :-))
But I didn't get that about the date - on 6th Dec ... I apologise that I am not so aware of your traditions, but I always thought the celebritions started around 23rd or 24th ?

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger Jennifer AKA keewee said...

I miss the days of having young children around at Christmas, just to see the look on their faces on Christmas day or when they went to visit santa, was a delight.

 
At 12:46 PM, Blogger Ginco said...

Kevin: you mean the Gateau - blackforest cake!!

Norma: Yes, I love the different ways people celebrate Christmas - so glad you enjoyed the post, :-))

Nmotb: Yes that's so true, I also tried to keep Santa alive - but my son's buddies always knew better, haaha!!

East of oregon: Yeah, there's magic in every Christmas! :-))

Tina: I'm glad you enjoyed it!!

Sigma: On the 24th December the celebrations are in full swing (in Germany & Switzerland) the family will have their traditional meal and afterwards everyone can look forward to unwrapping their presents, on the 25 & 26 December - more family gatherings & lots to eat & drink, LOL!
The 6 December is really just for children, sort of checking if they have behaved themselves! But they won't receive the same presents from Santa as they will from Mom & Dad. :-))

Keewee: Having small children around the house is something I really miss!! I was watching Santa chatting to the children on the 6th, and I felt quite nostalgic. :-)

 

Kommentar veröffentlichen

<< Home