gincoleaves

Donnerstag, Dezember 13, 2007

Our House, in the middle of the street....!

Ever since I've started blogging just over a year now, I have been grumbling
and groaning about how I miss my house in South Africa, and how much I miss
gardening, feeling the good earth on my hands, or simply going for a quiet
stroll down to the very bottom end of the garden!

It really isn't easy to be a home owner when you are living in Switzerland, I
kid you not, you must either have mega bucks to afford the walls that
you can call your own, OR you must have a very rich Uncle tucked away
somewhere along the
the family line.

Little ol' me don't have either of the two options mentioned above - poor
as a wee church mouse I am!!

A lot of people living here in Switzerland are in the habbit of hiring a communial
garden.
I cannot give you the size of such a hired garden, but it isn't very big, so most
people will grow a few veggies and a couple of flowers, and they will have only
enough room to place a little garden shed. Some folks will go to all
extremes and get a housy that looks like a "Heidi in the Alps" house"

No matter how much effort you've put into that little house, living
in it is not allowed!

In the very early years of living here, I must admit I have considered
hiring one of those, JUST TO DO A LITTLE GARDENING!!!

But let's be honost here, who in his right mind wants to travel some
distance before he/she can get to his garden.
No way! - I want to step out of my kitchen door or out of my front door
and fall right into MY GARDEN!!

SO, One day while my good friend and I went galavanting again she drove
me to the last house we lived in, in Southern Africa.

We even went to the house we lived in before this one, but for some
unexplained reason, NONE of the photos came to life!!

Unfortunately I couldn't take more pics of this house where we lived
and left behind so many wonderful memories.
As I was clicking away, the new owner appeared, so before he got sus-
picious and think that someone
had criminal intentions, I got back into my friend's car and we disappeared!










3 Comments:

At 8:58 AM, Blogger mistaya's M.O.M. said...

Yes, we too have what we call Community Gardens that you can rent a spot of ground that is about 15 X 6 feet or larger to grow your own veggies. I imagine those who live in the cities and miss their own gardens would love this idea. And yes, my greatest thrill is stepping our either my front door or out my back door and step right into my garden. What a blessing! And the home I spent my growing years in has been lost to progress and I do miss seeing it. It's amazing how few pictures we all have of our family homes.

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger mistaya's M.O.M. said...

ginco..I failed to mention that many people rent these small garden spaces to grow veggies then at harvest they donate the food to our local food banks. Now that's a true Blessing!!!

 
At 10:59 AM, Blogger Ginco said...

Hostagirl, thanks for all that information, I am surprised to hear that folks from other corners of the world also do this sort of thing.
I am not sure what these folks do with the veggies or flowers, but donating it is indeed a lovely gesture!

 

Kommentar veröffentlichen

<< Home