gincoleaves

Sonntag, September 10, 2006

Guess What's for Dinner?

Last Autumn we took a drive into the country side here in Swit-
zerland, and along the road I spotted a sign *Pumpkin Paradise*
We parked the car and walked down the farm road to see what it
was all about. When I saw all the pumpkins for sale - I could have
jumped for joy, in fact I would have started yodeling, but I had no
intention of scaring away the other pumpkin seekers.
I love pumpkins, but can't always find it in the supermarket, and
when you do - it'll cost you an arm and a legg.
Pumpkins of all shapes and sizes are always available in South-
Africa (perhaps it's due to our healthy climate) But I am aware of one fact,
Swiss people don't really care so much for the good veggie.
On many occasions I've also been questioned about the preparation
of a pumpkin.
There's just no great demand for it here .
Note the Ladies shopping for tiny deformed little pumpkins, mainly
used as pretty decoration for their kitchen window sills. This is the farmer's wife, she collects your money after you've picked
your pumpikins!

Happy with a boot full of pumpkins (and have I got pumpkins??!!)

We took a walk through the area, that's only a small bit of forest

in the background.

A peep through the forest.
A Summer house, for people who want to get away from city life

during the Summer time, or over week-ends.

Look what I found!!

A Crocus, this time of year? On this pic it doesn't look like a Crocus, but

it really is. I remember how surprised I was to find these flowers

only last year, in the same field.

Isn't this a gorgeous Sunflower? I have no idea what type of Sunny, but

beautiful all the same.

It's been a beautiful Autumn day, the dog could run freely, our lungs are

filled with fresh forest air, and we even got to see a group of people

enjoying horseback rides, A N D My kitchen is now filled with

PUMPKINS!!

7 Comments:

At 7:35 PM, Blogger Neoma said...

Oh wow, you hit a bonanza huh.......that sunflower is awsome.....love it. I had a few sunflowers come up from the birdseed, but they weren't as pretty as that one.

I love the country side there, it is very pretty. There are so many pretty places in this world, aren't there.

 
At 9:13 PM, Blogger Sigma said...

The flowers are beautiful ... and such a lovely place.
And you know what, we get pumpkins here in India, almost all through the year. They are not expensive, and if you want you can buy a slice of pumpkin just enough for preparing a vegetable for a day or two.

 
At 3:28 AM, Blogger Katt said...

Okay, I've never done this before but now I want to go shopping for pumpkins too. This looks like so much fun!

 
At 4:03 AM, Blogger Ginco said...

Nea: I have never seen a Sunflower as beautiful as this before! Ever!

Sigma: That's how I remember buying pumpkins back in SA, surprises me I didn't dream about 'em last night, LOL!

Katt: We don't shop for pumpies in SA, the good stuph's all over the place - you lucky fish, Haahaha!

 
At 8:09 AM, Blogger Jennifer AKA keewee said...

I love pumpkin, especially when it is cooked around a roast.
What a lovely place there.

 
At 1:16 AM, Blogger Bazza said...

We have a pumpkin growing in our garden, but I don't think it's going to be very big. That sunflower is absolutely gorgeous, we will try to grow some of those next year.

 
At 2:35 AM, Blogger Tina Dray said...

lovely sun flower.
we visited a old stateley home on sunday and in the gardens was a variety of the pumpkin family all going to rot and lots of other fruits ang vegi's doing the same.i really hate seeing good produce going to waste, i could have had a great day in the kitchen with it all!

 

Kommentar veröffentlichen

<< Home