gincoleaves

Samstag, Januar 26, 2008

Fastenwähe

The Fastenwähe is a pastry we get to enjoy only around this
time of year.
To translate this word, it should mean fasting pastry, but it has ab-
solutely nothing to do with religion.
The Fastenwähe made it's very first appearance way back in the year
1554, not in Basel, but in the Aargauischen Rheinfelden (German border)
It was known as a luxury pastry and eaten only by the rich.
This pastry is also similar to the Früchte und Käsewähe (fruit & cheese)
which originates from Elsass, France, dating back to the 18th Century.

Today, it is an inexpensive pastry that can be bought and enjoyed by
everyone, and not only by the rich.

As soon as I spot this pastry - sprinkled with just a teensy bit
of aniseed - either in the Baker's window or in the local Super-
market, I'll be first in line to buy the pastry with the strange form .
Simply because it tastes soo good!

3 Comments:

At 9:15 AM, Blogger mistaya's M.O.M. said...

yummm!!! That sounds so good. Please have one for me!!!

 
At 6:36 PM, Blogger Jennifer AKA keewee said...

I love anything pastry or bread like. I guess I am a carboholic *grin*

 
At 6:37 PM, Blogger Neoma said...

I FINALLY found you again, I changed my blog and lost all of my links.....so sorry I have been away so long.

This pastry looks good to me, and I love Anise......would love to try some. there really isn't any pastry that I don't like, haha

 

Kommentar veröffentlichen

<< Home