gincoleaves

Mittwoch, Januar 16, 2008

Act of Kindness ?




A man was riding in the back of his limosine when he saw a man
eating grass by the roadside. He ordered the driver to stop and
he got out to investigate.
"Why are you eating grass?" he asked the man.
"I don't have any money for food" the poor man replied.
"Oh please come to my house!"
"But sir, I have a wife and 4 children!"
"Bring them along" the rich man said.
They climbed into the limo.
Once underway the poor felow said "Sir, you are too kind, thank
you for taking us all in."
The rich man replied, "No, you don't understand, the grass at my house
is over 3 feet tall!"
This joke reminds me of something that happened to me last
year while shopping in town.
I was approached by a rather shabby and poor looking woman - I do
believe she was from ex - Jugoslawien.
She told me she had not eaten for a while and was very hungry.
Perhaps I'm a soft sucker for lies like that, but I handed her a 5 Swiss
Frank coin, not an awful lot, but for that amount she could buy a fresh
bread roll filled with a variety of yummy goodies at one of the
many bakeries in our town. As soon as she snatched the money from my
palm, she told me that they have no place to stay and her eldest son is
sleeping on one of the benches at the Main station.
And "Can you give me 20 Swiss Franks to help my Son?!"
I got the message, smiled and moved on without giving her any
more money.
During my stay in town, I have seen that very woman beg for
money at least half a dozen times.
That same week I had to go downtown again, and believe me there
she stood on the sidewalk - better dressed than myself!
The police must have been notified because a few weeks later I
read in our local newspaper that a woman was arrested for
conning people in the heart of our town.
The world is filled with different people, honost and dishonost
rich and poor, to mention just a few.
Although I have grumbled moaned and complained about many things
in and about Switzerland, simply because things are so very different to
my hometown and living here is not the same as enjoying a 3week ski-ing
vacation, but because the Social security in this country is better than
anywhere else in the world, no-one is homeless and no-one needs to go
hungry! !

2 Comments:

At 3:04 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Guess someone must have 'grassed' on her. Good job too ;)

 
At 7:22 AM, Blogger steve said...

yes you are right there is always people like that it is easier than getting up at 5.00am and going to work we all have choices

 

Kommentar veröffentlichen

<< Home