gincoleaves

Montag, Oktober 29, 2007

Africa is calling

I have searched the internet for an appropriate picture for my blog story,

and I was just about throwing in the towel, when I came across this blog
timpanogos.wordpress.com/2006/12/22/ and found this sad but

delightful picture of a small African boy standing amidst parched
fields - due to severe drought.

This cartoon won the 2006 Ranan Lurie Award for editorial cartooning,

an international competition supported by the United Nations Corres-

pondents Association.

The title of the cartoon is "African Tsunami"

If you should stumble across my blog, please don't be too angry

with me for "stealing" your picture, I simply couldn't resist using it

for my blog entry.

Nevertheless, thank you very much Ed Darrell!


As many bloggers know, I'm a born and bred South African, and for many


silver rainfalls, red clouds and many many moon, I've been married to a


man who's hometown is Switzerland.


I like to call him "The last of the Mohicans" There's plenty more


living here, but I find him the nicest of the whole bunch!



I have spent the early years of my married life here in Switzerland, went


back home, but have once again returned to my husband's birthplace.


Since the day we arrived in Switzerland I haven't paid a single


visit to sunny South Africa since the day we arrived here - 13 years ago.



Unfortunately, my Son refused to join us - as he said at the time, and I

quote,

"My roots are in South Africa"


Sadly I had no choice but to except his decision, so, with sadness in my


heart and eyes tear stained I waved him goodbye!


Although my days and years were filled with great joy because I


had my daughter (girl child) safely at my side, my heart was always


half filled - as any Mother will feel when one of her children are absent.


Whenever my Son comes to Switzerland for a visit, it is like spending "Christ-


mas in July!" We enjoy every minute to the full!


So, to cut a looong story short, when my Son 'phoned me about


8 months ago telling me he was getting married - I was "Over the moon"


with joy, and ever since that telephone call, our household has been


something similar to the goings on in a hornets nest.



Well, my bikini's been released from "Pandoras box", and is now


packed into my luggage (Snigger)


My bags are packed and I'm ready to go!


We have but a handful of days still to sleep, then I will be home again!


This coming week I still have a few loose ends to tie, so I doubt if I will


find time to blog at all.

Providing I find a quiet moment or two, I will take a look-see

what everyone's up to.

So for now I wish you all happy blogging !

Goodbye, So long and Cheerio ! !


8 Comments:

At 10:03 PM, Blogger Ed Darrell said...

Blog and send photos of your trip, please!

 
At 4:03 AM, Blogger Ginco said...

Ed Darrell: This is uncanny! Finding your comment is my surprise of the day!
WOW, the blogosphere is a small world :-)

 
At 8:36 PM, Blogger Jennifer AKA keewee said...

Have a wonderful trip my friend. We will talk sometime after the 20th of November.
How fabulous to have Ed Darrell leave a comment .

 
At 8:22 PM, Blogger mistaya's M.O.M. said...

Very interesting picture...nice job Ed!
Ginco...how wonderful that you are going "home" but even more wonderful that you will get to wrap your arms around "boy Child" again!!! Sons are so special to us moms. I miss mine everyday. He is actually coming for a visit for our Thanksgiving Holiday later in November. I am SOOO excited!! Have fun on you great adventure!!

 
At 4:13 AM, Blogger Ed Darrell said...

Hostagirl, be sure to give credit for the cartoon to Alberto Sabat, the Argentinian guy who drew the thing.

It really does strike a chord, doesn't it?

 
At 8:01 AM, Blogger mistaya's M.O.M. said...

Thank you Ed..I did visit his site and leave a comment. I really do like that picture..it stirs something in me. Thanks for stopping by!
Thanks Ginco for letting us communicate over your blog!

 
At 11:56 AM, Anonymous Anonym said...

Gincoleaves, I really hope you are having a wonderful time seeing your son, seeing your old home, refreshing memories and making new ones.

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger Kev Brown said...

Hope you have a great time!

 

Kommentar veröffentlichen

<< Home