gincoleaves

Mittwoch, Juni 07, 2006

Sweet Tarts on Strike

When I first came to this country many moons ago, I knew life was going to be
different. Not only will I learn a new language, and experience a Culture Shock
as many thousand others do when moving to a new country. But what never entered
my mind was that I will have problems finding certain food items, which I am accustom-
ed to.
As I,ve always enjoyed baking, and ready to taste and samlpe new recipes, here the
fun was about to start.
As a total Green horn to this new country, I searched (in vain) the grocery stores for
ingredients for my good ol`recipes with the flavour of "the green green grass" of
home.
Freshly baked tea-time scones with jam and whipped cream, not only a favourite in
the UK, but also a great hit in SA. How do I get those beauties to rise 3inches high
with an oven kissed complexion ----------without self-raising flour?
How do I make that "all you can eat" Trifle, the perfect final to a Christmas meal --------
without Custard and Jelly?
And how do I prepare that magical Lemon Meringue Tart, without the help of our old
and trusted buddy ------------thick sweetened Condensed Milk?
Where are the days, shortly before Christmas, when the cake platters were over flowing
with Christmas Mince Pies, spreading that wonderful aroma through every corner
of the house?
The all time favourite Sponge Pudding shows me an aggresive face -------- without
Golden Syrup.!
With all this "sweet talk" my stomach is grumbling and growling. The Curry Masala
on the stove is ready to serve, it,s just another tear jerker for Vindaloo and me -------
without the Mango Chutney.

1 Comments:

At 6:58 PM, Blogger Jennifer AKA keewee said...

I found the same thing when I moved here. Many foods and baking items I could not find.I never did use self raising flour so did not miss it.

 

Kommentar veröffentlichen

<< Home